[FLASH-USERS] IONMIX format and HEDP module

Galtier, Eric Christophe egaltier at slac.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 18 10:09:58 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to simulated the interaction of a high power laser with solid samples. While the HEDP module is fairly straightforward to use, I get stuck when I need to use realistic equation of states and opacities, meaning tabulated, in the IONMIX format. I basically have SESAME eos tables that I want to couple to TOPS multigroup opacity tables. I was wondering if any body have exprience to merge SESAME eos tables with TOPS opacity tables into IONMIX format? Or more generally, is there some python code I could use to convert the SESAME format and/or TOPS format into one single IONMIX format containing both the eos and opacity tables?

Still related to the HEDP module. I attach a screenshot of a simple laser/solid interaction with this module. I ran a 3D simulation with the laser comming from the bottom heading to the top. The thin foil is at the very top of the simulation box. As the laser heats the sample, a plasma expands and cools down overtime. These pictures shows a top view of the geometry showing the plasma expanding away from the target. As in the laser_slab example, the vacuum is in fact He at very low pressure to simulate vacuum. Everythign looks normal except that at some point, a schock wave starts to develop in this ambient atmosphere as is shown by the huge increase in temperature and density ahead of the plasma plume. This shock wave seems to be related to the physical constraint of having an atmosphere of whatever low pressure material simulating the vacuum. Does anybody already observed this effect in this kind of simulation and if yes found a work arround or a way to get rid of this Sedovesque type shock wave with this code? I found some paper where FLASH was compared to the HYDRA code in laser-produced plasma experiments but can’t find any mention of such density and temperature jump at the interface between expanding plasma and pseudo-vacuum.

Thanks a lot for your help and comments,

Eric

[cid:8D8B1B61-171B-4460-823E-3A828E8E4482 at hsd1.ca.comcast.net]

---
Dr. Eric Galtier