[FLASH-USERS] Collisional Ionization in FLASH 4

Christopher Arran christopher.arran at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 2 07:30:57 EST 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to include the collisional ionization routines in the Ionize unit (excerpt from example Config file and setup command below). The code compiles and runs fine with initial conditions and normal fluid behaviour as expected. However, there's no evidence of any creation of any of the ions N^Z+, even when running on timescales hundreds of times the expected collision time and with particle temperatures many times the ionisation energies. Furthermore, there's no increase in the number of electrons, either measured by the electron  species mass fraction or by ye = zbar/abar.

I was wondering if anyone had successfully managed to use the Ionize unit recently (the documentation and code doesn't look to have been updated since v2). If so, it would be great if you had any suggestions.

Best,
Chris

Config file excerpt:
"
REQUIRES physics/sourceTerms/Ionize
REQUIRES Simulation/SimulationComposition/Ionize

DATAFILES summers_den_1e8.rates
SPECIES n TO 7
"

Setup command:
"./setup -auto Ionization -2d +cylindrical +hdf5typeio -nxb=16 -nyb=16 +mtmmmt +uhd3t"