[FLASH-USERS] Error triggering gr_sanitizeData

Christoph Federrath christoph.federrath at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 02:53:40 EDT 2015

Hi Joshua,

this is probably related to hydro and EOS and might be a problem of time stepping. Have you modified the timestep constraints in your implementation of cooling? Your cooling has a timescale and if the timestep is too large for a cooling that is too strong and too fast, then this might cause some hydro/EOS inconsistency, which can manifest in negative density/pressure (or negative internal energy, as seems to be the case in your warning below; the warning comes from GC filling, but that the problem arises in hydro/eos). You could try to reduce the CFL number, but eventually, you’d probably have to implement a timestep limiter to properly account for your cooling.

Cheers,

Christoph

PS: Plus, some hydro/MHD solvers might be more stable for a bit longer, but I given that you tested a few and it always eventually failed when the density get high (and thus the cooling get strong), there is clearly a more fundamental problem (likely the one I describe above), which cannot be fixed by just switching to a different hydro/MHD solver.