[FLASH-USERS] [Flash] ray tracing issue

pchang pchang at lle.rochester.edu
Mon Jul 27 19:44:32 EDT 2015

Hi all,
I am using flash to simulate the implosion of a cylindrical target using
lasers. Please see the attached file. I am using the cubic interpolation
with Runge Kutta Integration ray tracing in most recent version,
FLASH4.3, but similar issue was observed in Kaiser ray tracing in
FLASH4.2. The issue is I have more than 20 beams passing through each
grid (I have tried the case with about 50 beams/grid) in my simulation.
I should expect a smooth energy deposition. However, I always see "ray
traces" in the energy deposition plot. The separation of those ray
traces are much bigger than the grid size. It doesn't make sense to me
since I have so many rays passing through each grid, how come I still
have non-uniform energy deposition.
Does anyone encounter similar issues?
Thank you,

Po-Yu

--
Po-Yu Chang

Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Fusion Science Center for Extreme States of Matter,
Laboratory for Laser Energetics
University of Rochester
250 East River Road
Rochester, New York 14623