[FLASH-USERS] #define E problem

Seyit Hocuk seyit at mpe.mpg.de
Mon Mar 16 13:01:10 EDT 2015

Hi,

I haven't posted for a while, but I just came accross an interesting
problem. The interesting part is that I did not have this issue in the past.

The number of electrons is defined as E (i.e., #define E 4) in
Multispecies.h. Because of this, wherever I include this header file my
exponent notation with capital E's are giving wrong numbers. For example
1.0E-24 gives -22.96 (that is 1.04 - 24) instead of 10^(-24) , while
1.0e-24 correctly results in the right number. If this is the expected
behaviour, I find it illogical.

I've succesfully reproduced this with most intel fortran compilers from
11.0 to 14.0. I don't know why it appears now and did not in the past.
The compiler flags -uppercase or -lowercase (or -name lowercase) do not
help in this case.

My question is how do I avoid this problem without changing the
definition, since I would have to change everywhere where the
multispecies unit is used for electrons, or without manually changing my
exponent notations to lower cases everywhere. Maybe the manual way isn't
much work, but I don't want to search the whole code.

Best wishes,
Seyit

--
Dr. S. Hocuk