[FLASH-USERS] Continuing to evolve particles that leave the domain

Norbert Flocke flocke at flash.uchicago.edu
Sun Mar 29 08:58:57 EDT 2015

Hi James,

I have dealt with this on two ocasions, when writing the ray tracing and
the proton imaging units. Both units use a different approach that I will
explain (they use the grid particles unit for moving particles through
blocks):

  1) Ray tracing
     -----------

     In this case I needed to keep the rays that exit the domain for some
     internal checks (hence no further evolution). I did this by giving
     them a particle attribute of RAY_OUTOFDOMAIN, which I set to a large
     negative number < -2. Then, before! I entered the grid move particles
     routine, I copied these rays to a different array to save them and
     then I reset the rays with attribute RAY_OUTOFDOMAIN to rays with
     NONEXISTENT.

  2) Proton Imaging
     --------------

     Unlike the ray tracing, in this case I needed to keep track of the
     protons after they leave the domain, because they have to be recorded
     on a detector screen. I did this by copying the domain exiting protons
     to a different array (becoming screen protons), which I then evolve
     by a separate routine. Here the protons leaving the domain are simply
     set to NONEXISTENT. The possible memory constraints (for large number
     of protons) are beeing dealt with by intermediate (small) bucket
     arrays that are emptied (recorded on the detector screen) once they
     are full.

As you see, as soon as my particles (ray, proton) left the domain, I took
full responsibility of evolution. I did not leave this task to the grid
particles unit.

I hope this helps you a bit,
Norbert