[FLASH-USERS] 2D +spherical point mass AND self-gravity question

Ivo Seitenzahl ivo.seitenzahl at anu.edu.au
Mon May 4 21:04:40 EDT 2015

Dear FLASH-users,
I have run into a problem with the gravity for my problem. The geometry
is +spherical and dimensionality is 2D.

What I've been trying to set up is self-gravity (as far as I can tell
only multi-pole is supported in 2D+spherical) IN ADDITION to a single
central "point_mass".  Essentially what I have is a central compact
object (think of it as a black hole) surrounded by a self-gravitating
envelope. So a further complication is that xmin > 0.0 (I have excised a
central region from the computational domain, still, so the point_mass
would sit outside the computational domain).

Looking here it seems to me that Poisson gravity and point_mass is a
valid combination.
http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/rpDoc_4p22.py?submit=rp_Gravity.txt

However, it seems to be a strict requirement (by that the grid should
begin at r=0 (i.e. xmin=0), which is communicated clearly as an ERROR by
gr_mpoleInit.F90 if I build the problem with +newMpole.

*****
   if (radialXGrid) then
       if (gr_mpoleDomainXmin /= ZERO) then
           call Driver_abortFlash ('[gr_mpoleInit] ERROR: radial X-coord
out of range')
       end if
   end if
*****

Am I just SOL or am I missing something? If anyone has any insight how
to setup self-gravity in 2D+spherical (with xmin > 0.0) and a central
(fixed at the origin) point mass then I would greatly appreciate any
suggestions/help.

Best wishes from Down-Under,

Ivo