[FLASH-USERS] 2D +spherical point mass AND self-gravity question

Sean Couch smc at flash.uchicago.edu
Tue May 5 18:26:10 EDT 2015

Hi Ivo,

Just catching up on this.  The easiest solution to your problem is to switch to the “old” multipole solver.  That has both the additional point mass and the ability for rmin > 0.

Norbert is correct that I have added an additional point mass potential to the “new” multipole solver.  This is really trivial as it is just a additional -GM/r term in the final potential calculation.  The new multipole solver still lacks the ability to have rmin > 0, although this is also not difficult, in principal.  If the old one can do it, the new one can too.  I just haven’t looked into doing it.

All that said, for 2D spherical the only thing the new solver will by you is speed (it’s much faster), but for a 2D problem, who cares?  The old solver will do the job admirably.  I still use it from time to time when I need rmin > 0, or a 3D octant geometry…

Sean