[FLASH-USERS] Problems with 2.5D cylindrical disk using FLASH 4.2.2 unsplit solver

Andrea Derdzinski aderdzinski at astro.columbia.edu
Tue May 5 19:32:06 EDT 2015

Hi Sean,

It turns out the issue was in boundary conditions--particularly the upper z
boundary was not set to provide pressure support against gravity. I
set fixed boundary conditions to ensure hydrostatic equilibrium, and
although there are some spurious velocities in low density regions (they
are minimal) the disk stays steady after several dynamical times.

I noticed that FLASH has an option to set hydrostatic boundary conditions,
and that there are two versions (Flash2HSE and Flash3HSE) but I couldn't
find any documentation that described the difference between these two
versions. Can anyone explain why the Flash3 implementation of hydrostatic
boundary conditions may be better than the Flash2 one?
Do they both use the same method described in Zingale et al 2002?
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2002ApJS..143..539Z)?
While the current HSE boundary conditions assume uniform gravity, I am
interested in implementing hydrostatic boundary conditions that work with
spatially dependent gravitational acceleration.

Thanks
Andrea