[FLASH-USERS] MatRad3 case for MultiTemp

Mark Richardson mark.richardson.work at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 10:29:13 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

   I'm curious if someone with experience with the MultiTemp aspect of
FLASH's EOS module, in particular (but not necessary) the MatRad3 case
which sets the ion component to zero, could help me understand it better. I
am trying to implement a new EOS that works within MatRad3. I have this EOS
working with Multispecies, but for the MatRad3 scenario I'm a bit confused
about when the NR solver needs to be called (so Table 15.1 in the user
guide).

  Why does the Newton-Raphson solver need to be called in the MODE_DENS_EI
cases in Gamma and Multigamma, given that eint is solved analytically in
the case of MODE_DENS_TEMP. Why isn't temp set just with the inverse? My
confusion makes understanding the more complex MODE_DENS_EI_{ } submodes
quite difficult.

Also, do I have much control beyond Simulation_initBlock in how EOS will be
called throughout the simulation, where we are including RadTrans and
Diffusion. It seems like for the most part it's limited to MODE_DENS_EI,
but there are some other cases, including _EI_MAT_GATHER_PRAD_SCALE
(hy_uhd_unsplit), and _PRES (hy_uhd_getFaceFlux).

I very much appreciate any guidance.

Cheers,
  -Mark

--

Mark Richardson
Beecroft Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physics
Mark.Richardson at physics.ox.ac.uk
+44 1865 280793