[FLASH-USERS] success with thermal evaporation

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 8 08:44:33 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Just thought that, since I've been posting several questions related to
thermal conduction, diffusion, etc. I'd tell this list that I have had
success in simulating a thermally evaporating cloud including the effects
of flux limitation (a.k.a. saturation of conduction).  The resulting mass
loss rate of the cloud is within a few percent of that predicted by the
analytical formula given a fit to the temperature profile using results
from Dalton & Balbus (1993, ApJ 404, 625).  This required setting
diff_eleFlCoef (the flux limitation parameter) carefully to be consistent
with the assumptions in that paper.  Anyone who would like to know more
details can feel free to e-mail me.

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA