[FLASH-USERS] Re: installing flmake (was "changing maxblocks")

Scott Feister sfeister at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:08:40 EDT 2015

Hi Jon,

*[RESOLVED]*
Thanks for your help. Your question spurred a workaround to the problem.

I'm testing on a single desktop PC with 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS. It is
packaged with python 2.7.6. The first time I call "python setup.py
--install" it returns an error (see below). After nosing around on my
machine a little more, I resolved my issue; I needed to run "python
setup.py install --user" twice in a row, and then add "~/.local/bin" to my
user path.

*Below are some flmake startup instructions for future users (Ubuntu
14.04.3 LTS, FLASH 4.3):*
*1.* Unzip the FLASH 4.3 tarball.
*2.* Navigate into the tools folder: "cd tools"
*3.* Run "python setup.py install --user"; it does some work and then (in
my case) returns an error:

*running install[SNIP]running install_egg_infoWriting
/home/joeblow/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash-0.1.egg-infoTraceback
(most recent call last):  File "setup.py", line 207, in <module>
run_setup()  File "setup.py", line 199, in run_setup
make_bash_completion()  File "setup.py", line 118, in
make_bash_completion    import flash.flmake.__init__ImportError: No module
named flash.flmake.__init__*
*4.* Run "python setup.py install --user" a second time and it returns no
error:

*running install[SNIP]For bash-completion please add the following lines to
your ~/.bashrc:# Enable completion for flmakeif [ -f
/home/joeblow/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/flmake ] ;
then     source
/home/joeblow/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/flmakefi*

*5.* The executable "flmake" is now installed into "~/.local/bin". Copy and
paste the suggested text (replace *joeblow* with your username) to the
bottom of ~/.bashrc, *along with adding "~/.local/bin" to your path *(if it
is not already on your path):

*if [ -f
/home/joeblow/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/flmake ] ;
then     source
/home/joeblow/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flash/flmake/flmakefiexport
PATH=$PATH:/home/joeblow/.local/bin*
*6.* Restart the terminal to reload your bash profile. From here, you can
follow the flmake user's guide
<http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/tools4b/usersguide/flmake/index.html>.
The above steps worked if 1)"flmake" + TAB now autocompletes with "flmake
setup" "flmake build", etc., and 2) calling "flmake setup Sedov -auto"
returns several lines, hopefully followed by "SUCCESS" (and, if you have
not set up git, a warning about version control).

*7.* Of course, you will have to resolve all of FLASH's dependencies (per
the FLASH user's guide
<http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/>), change the
Makefile.h, etc. before attempting any real simulations. (Shoot me an
email, sfeister at gmail.com, if you want tips for this on Ubuntu.)

Best,

Scott

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Slavin, Jonathan <jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> What happens when you do "python setup.py install --user" in the tools
> directory?  How is python installed on your system?  Also, what's your
> operating system/distribution.
>
> Jon
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Scott Feister <sfeister at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jon, Roman, and the greater community,
>>
>> Does anybody know the full sequence of steps for getting flmake working
>> on a fresh installation? The "cd tools; python setup.py install --python"
>> step from the webpage does not seem to suffice in getting it up and running
>> on my machine. The setup instructions for FLASH were *very *good and I
>> got FLASH working in "no time", but I cannot get flmake to run at all
>> for the life of me. Are there more detailed setup instructions somewhere
>> that I am missing?
>>
>> My impression from talking with people and looking at old user forum
>> discussions is that flmake development is basically on hold, but that it
>> still should work (and could be very useful) with the right setup in FLASH
>> 4.3. In any case, given the support status it would probably be helpful to
>> temper this line in the manual
>> <http://flash.uchicago.edu/site/flashcode/user_support/tools4b/usersguide/flmake/index.html>:
>> "It is highly recommended that both novice and advanced users adopt flmake
>> as it enables reproducible research while simultaneously making FLASH
>> easier to use." Kind of confusing for a new user!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Scott (Ohio State)
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Slavin, Jonathan <
>> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> ​Hi Roman,
>>>
>>> Yes, I did copy the source simulation tree before running. setup.  I
>>> found out a while back that I needed to do that otherwise my changes didn't
>>> get picked up.  I do like flmake, especially for the ease of separating
>>> runs and tracking changes.  It's too bad that it doesn't seem to be
>>> supported currently.
>>>
>>> Jon​
>>>
>>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:00 PM, <flash-users-request at flash.uchicago.edu

>>> --
>>> Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
>>> jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
>>> phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
>>> cell: (781) 363-0035             USA