[FLASH-USERS] installation of Flash4.3!

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:45:04 EDT 2016

Hi!

I'm a yt developer and I thought I'd chime in here with advice.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Scott Feister <sfeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone (and especially those using yt),
>
> Robert mentioned yt as a good alternative to VisIt for FLASH analysis.
> I've had a good experience with it as well, although I *have *run into a
> few bugs along the way with re-sampling 3D adaptive mesh data (which may be
> yt, or may be the yt FLASH module). In the yt 3.3.1 user guide "Loading
> data: FLASH data" section (http://yt-project.org/doc/exa
> mining/loading_data.html#flash-data), it says:
>

> *FLASH HDF5 data is mostly supported and cared for by John ZuHone.*

I guess this language isn't clear - John maintains the FLASH frontend, but
the yt community as a whole maintains it, even when he's busy.

> Is anyone else currently familiar with the internals of yt for FLASH HDF5
> data? In other words (and John ZuHone, feel free to chime in), who should
> we reach out to with yt bugs in loading FLASH data?

yt bugs should be reported at our issue tracker:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/issues/new

If you can, when reporting bugs please include a test script that exhibits
an error, along with any error message or traceback you generate when
running the script. Ancillary test datasets used in the script are also
very useful for reproducing bugs, but we are mindful that often people are
working with very large and/or proprietary datasets.

If you have general questions about yt, I'd encourage you to send them to
our mailing list:

> Is there any documentation specific to the FLASH yt module that could be
> shared?

The page you linked to above is the only FLASH-specific documentation I'm
aware of. if you think it should be expanded or is missing some information
please let us know.

yt is a community-developed project and thrives on the contributions of
users. If you spot anything that yt is doing incorrectly or see an error or
inconsistency in our documentation, please let us know so we can fix it or,
if you have the time or inclination, please also feel free to fix issues
you come across in yt and submit a pull request. Community contributions in
the form of isssue reports and pull requests are extremely helpful.
Documentation improvements from newcomers are extremely valuable as well,
since it's all too easy to write documentation that assumes too much
background.

-Nathan