[FLASH-USERS] Flash 4.4 OPAL opacity

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 7 14:20:48 EST 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016, Amit Kashi wrote:

> It now runs well.
> The information in the files you listed helped me understand what the
> undocumented parameters do.
> One problem I encountered is that in the temperature read in Opacity.F90
> was TELE that I don't use in my simulation rather then TEMP, so that lead
> to NAN in the opacity values. After replacing it with TEMP it runs well.

Amit,

Thanks for letting us know. The OPAL Opacity implementation was developed
and tested in the context of a multiTemp / MatRad3 setup for Eos (where
TELE woul represent the gas temperature). It makes sense to use TEMP
instead if one is not using a 3T (or 2T "RadFLAH") setup.

The Opacity implementation should be usable in a 1T situation and should
use TEMP in that case, and I will make a code change to that end.

However, I am a bit surprised that that you got NaN when using the "wrong"
temperature variable, TELE_VAR. If you just added the Opacity unit to a
1T setup, TELE_VAR should not even be defined, so the file Opacity.F90
should not even have been be compilable. If, on the other hand, you are
using a 3T setup (by having used +3T or +uhd3t or +3Tr in your setup
command or similar), there should be a TELE_VAR but also code that makes
sure that TELE has reasonable values. (In particular, the Eos unit should
do that, when Eos_wrapped is called in various places.) So maybe your
simulation implements "having but not using TELE" in an interesting and
unforeseen way.