[FLASH-USERS] Numerical Viscosity

Dean Townsley Dean.M.Townsley at ua.edu
Fri Feb 5 11:30:36 EST 2016

Hi Markus,

Quantifying implicit numerical viscosity is a tricky business, since I
think it can behave in unphysical ways.  That being said it, I think it
is not too ill-defined to estimate a sort of "effective" implicit
viscosity for the dissipation of turbulence in your simulation.  The
"proper" way to do this is to measure the turbulence cascade in your own
simulation and then infer the viscosity from the behavior of that at
small scales.  This also demonstrates that you have something that would
be thought of as turbulence in your simulation at all, which requires
fairly good resolution.  An easier way is to use something estimated for
a similar hydro method.  The reference that comes to mind is Aspden,
Nikiforakis, Dalziel and Bell (2008,
http://dx.doi.org/10.2140/camcos.2008.3.103).  They don't use the exact
hydro method that is in flash, but they do explore some similar ones.

Quoting some results from that...
Note that things might not be as simple as you might think because the
viscosity actually depends on the strength of your turbulence and how
well the integral scale is resolved.  The effective viscosity they find is

   nu_e = epsilon^1/3 * 0.203*N^0.102 * deltax^4/3

Where epsilon is the dissipation rate and N is the number of
computational cells across the integral length scale.  This puts the
Kolmogorov scale generally between 1/5 and 1/3 of the cell size,
depending on the details.

If you're more interested in viscosity in shear flows rather than
turbulence, I believe physicality gets even more tricky.

Hopefully that's helpful.  If you're actually using the MHD solver, then
I'll leave that to others to comment on.  (I didn't think the
staggered-mesh characteristic was important for non-M HD, but others can
correct me.)

Dean