[FLASH-USERS] Growing error in magnetic field when updating fluid variables in wind tunnel simulation

Rukmani Vijayaraghavan rukmani at virginia.edu
Thu Feb 18 11:07:53 EST 2016

Hi Jason,

Thanks! I'm using FLASH 4.2, I'll try using 4.3 to see if that makes a
difference. I haven't tried refining on the magnetic variables yet.

For the different runtime parameters --

1. I've tried cfl = 0.5 and 0.8, but nothing lower yet. I'll check to
see if that works.

2. For the Riemann Solver, I've found HLLC to be a bit more dissipative
than HLLD, and therefore marginally better at smoothing out the magnetic
field at the edges. Ditto with second order MUSCL-Hancock over third
order PPM.

3. All the other runtime parameters are mostly the same. I don't refine
on the magnetic variables, but I tried higher overall lrefine_min (to
make sure the outer edges get further refined) and it didn't help -- the
same block-based discontinuity persists.

4. I'm using a constant wind inflow for this particular run. One thing I
checked to see was if there was a round off error in reading my input
variables into double precision arrays, and this tiny "seed" instability
might grow, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. What is strange is that
the value (and sign) of the initial instability varies block-by-block.
In your simulations, did you use a constant wind?

Thanks,
Rukmani

rukmani at virginia.edu