[FLASH-USERS] Growing error in magnetic field when updating fluid variables in wind tunnel simulation

Jason Galyardt jason.galyardt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:30:55 EST 2016

Hi Rukmani,

I used a spatially varying wind; the velocity of the wind varies along the
boundary, but it has a well-defined, time-independent form. I've also seen
problems with more realistic B-field geometries which (to my horror)
included step functions in the domain interior. I had to smooth these out
to avoid unphysical evolution in those regions.

I've also seen some modest increase in B-field magnitude for the cells
adjacent to a refinement boundary. I haven't reported the latter previously
because I haven't had time to figure out what's going on there. You might
try setting lrefine_min = lrefine_max to get uniform refinement and see
whether that helps (some of our group's simulations do this).

The block by block variation does seem strange. I would expect this kind of
variation to be correlated with variation in another variable. How do the
other variables look in the problem region?

Another idea: could this variation be tied to the equation of state? If
you're using one of the supported FLASH EOS units, you're probably fine.

Regards,
Jason