[FLASH-USERS] larger FLASH hdf5 files in visit

Sean Couch smc at flash.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 8 10:55:49 EDT 2016

Hi Jacob,

I don’t have a solution, but I will chime in and say that you’re not crazy and not doing anything wrong. I’ve seen exactly this type of behavior with VisIt many times.  It’s like each process allocates enough memory for the entire dataset…  What’s more is that there are clearly memory leaks to boot.  For example, when making movies of a series of large FLASH plot files, I would see memory crashes after roughly the same number of frame creations.  Then restarting the movie making from where it left off would work fine, until the magic number of frames had again been made…

As far as file size go, VisIt should have no problem with ~16 Gb files.  I routinely visualize plot files that are 100s of Gb in size.  But doing it in parallel is always a pain…

I’ve looked briefly into the FLASH reader for VisIt and I don’t think the bug is there.  The reader is extremely simple.  I think the bug must be in the VisIt source itself.  And it’s been there for a very long time…

Sorry, this is not helpful but I don’t have a good solution.  Except to switch to yt as John suggests (but in my experience that’s no panacea, either…).

Cheers,
Sean

Sean M. Couch
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering
National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory/Facility for Rare Isotope Beams
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd, 3250 BPS
East Lansing, MI  48824
(517) 884-5035    ——    couch at pa.msu.edu <mailto:couch at pa.msu.edu>    ——    www.pa.msu.edu/~couch <http://www.pa.msu.edu/~couch>