[FLASH-USERS] Compiling FLASH4.3

Dominik Derigs derigs at ph1.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jul 20 05:04:13 EDT 2016

Hey Ritam,

Note that with Ubuntu it is *not* needed to install/compile any library!
Everything can be covered by libraries that are available through the usual
Ubuntu package management system.
I described a procedure some while ago that enables you to install FLASH in
less than five minutes on any Ubuntu machine (also applies to Linux Mint
and others). You just have to do four easy steps:

   1. Download/extract latest version of FLASH
   2. Use the command provided below to install MPI and HDF5
   3. Use one of the provided Makefile.h (see attachment)
   4. Setup, compile and run FLASH.

I will forward you the commands that I used for installing FLASH on Ubuntu
14.04 and 16.04 so 15.04 might need a mixture:

Ubuntu 14.04
sudo apt-get install mpich2 libmpich-dev libhdf5-7 libhdf5-dev

Ubuntu 16.04
sudo apt-get install mpich libmpich-dev libhdf5-dev libhdf5-mpich-dev

Note that by these commands, also mpich will be installed. Also note that
the Makefiles are tuned such that they worked for me. It might be that you
have to modify something, but I think it is unlikely.

Maybe we should add this to some official place like the FLASH manual?

Best regards,
Dominik

--
Dominik Derigs
I. Physikalisches Institut

https://hera.ph1.uni-koeln.de/~derigs/

Tel. (+49|0) 221 470-8352
Fax. (+49|0) 221 470-5162

Diese Email ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt.
Zugang, Freigabe, die Kopie, die Verteilung oder Weiterleitung durch jemand
anderen außer dem Empfänger selbst ist verboten und kann eine kriminelle
Handlung sein. Bitte löschen Sie die Email, wenn Sie sie durch einen Fehler
erhalten haben und informieren Sie den Absender.

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
and/or privileged material and is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
delete this material from all known records.