[FLASH-USERS] anisotropic thermal conduction

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 2 09:28:20 EDT 2016

Hi,

I've been doing runs with FLASH including electron thermal conduction.  The
results have been excellent.  As a test I compared the temperature profile
and mass loss rate predicted by the analytical steady evaporation model of
Dalton & Balbus with that for a 2D (cylindrical symmetry) spherical cloud
as calculated by FLASH and the match was very good.

Up until now, I have not included the magnetic field.  To do so would
require altering the conductivity such that it is very small (effectively
zero) perpendicular to the field lines.  Has anyone implemented this
anisotropic thermal conduction in FLASH?  I know that several years ago
Orlando published results with that done, but I believe that was for an
older version of FLASH and that bit seems not to have been implemented in
the current version (4.3).  I feel like it wouldn't necessarily be very
difficult, but if someone has a working version, it would certainly save me
some time and effort.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA