[FLASH-USERS] Multiple Species Hydro+MHD Simulation

Weston Lowrie wlowrie at uw.edu
Fri Jun 17 18:10:53 EDT 2016

Hi,
I am just getting started with the Flash code, and I am trying to make
sense of the architecture.  I have been able to run a customized Hydro
problem as well as a MHD simulation without issue.  Now I am looking to
build something more complex.

I'm looking to create a simulation where I have two bulk species
(materials?) (i.e. ions and neutrals) where the ions will be bound by the
MHD equations, and neutrals by hydro only equations.  Each of these "bulk"
quantities will have their individual species.

It is unclear to me if I need to:
1) Setup two Units, one for the neutrals (hydro) and then another for the
ions (MHD) so that they are evolved separately.  If this is the case how do
I differentiate between the different densities, temp, velocities, etc?
or
2) Just use the MHD Unit and define all the different species (i.e. N, N2,
O2, O, O+, N2+, O2+, etc.)  By properly defining the species with their
respective charge will the hydro advance correctly?  Maybe I also need to
use the Ionization unit?

I appreciate any help on how to think about this in Flash.

Best,
Wes