[FLASH-USERS] Change in mass and energy after first step

Drake Alexander Ranquist Drake.Ranquist at Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 30 14:44:29 EDT 2016

Dear flash users,

I am grad student who is new to using Flash and scientific computing in
general.  I am trying to simulate the solar wind’s interaction with
Jupiter.  I ran a simple test of initializing the solar wind in a closed
box.  After the first time step, the mass immediately jumped up (the low
density I initialize it with probably is over written by a minimum density)
and the magnetic energy dropped by 31 orders of magnitude.

I am trying to initialize everything with SI units instead of
non-dimensional ones, but I’m not convinced that I did things right.  It
would be really nice if someone looked through what I’ve done and let me
know of all of the beginner’s mistakes I’ve made.

Thank you for your time,
Drake Ranquist
University of Colorado at Boulder
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics