[FLASH-USERS] Photoionization in FLASH

Michiel Bustraan michiel.bustraan at astro.su.se
Wed Oct 19 08:20:16 EDT 2016

Dear FLASH Users,

I was wondering whether FLASH is capable of calculating photoionization.

I am aware of the optically thick MGD module, but I believe this only takes the influence of radiation on pressure and energy into account.

There is also the Ionization module, but I think this only considers collisional ionization using the conditions of the gas.

I found a past question that asked the same thing, and was directed to a paper:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.08987v1.pdf?

While this is photoionization, it seems to be photoionization from a radiation source as opposed to photoionization due to radiation produced by the gas itself.

So I wanted to ask if anyone was aware of an addition to FLASH that could be used to calculate the effects of photoionization.

Kind Regards,

Michiel Bustraan