[FLASH-USERS] 2D Spherical and Cartesian Geometry

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 17:54:01 EDT 2016

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016, Michiel Bustraan wrote:

> Klaus,

> Those changes didn't seem to help,

Michiel,

Surely something must have changed at least upon changing the angle
coordinate range from 0-180 to 0-90 ? At least, a plot corresponding to
the one you sent earlier should look different, since you would be
eliminating the part of the domain that appears to have the largest
problem!

> but switching to split hydro did seem to make the simulation work.

Thanks for checking...

> However, when I tried to increase the resolution, either through more AMR levels or a higher base resolution, I get the following error message.

> Missing neighbors on PE    1, lb=  243,surrblks=( 232,   1, 2)( 237,   1, 1)( 249,   1, 1)( 238,   1, 2)( 243,   1, 2)( 251,   1, 1)( 254,   1, 1)( 255,   1, 1)(  -1,  -1,-1)

> Do you know what might cause this?

When does this happen? Did you just get this message, or were there
additional messages either on standard output or in the log file? Did
FLASH abort immediately after this or not?

The underlying PARAMESH Grid implementation seems to be confused, having
inconsistent information about neighboring blocks. It is hard to say more
without more info from you.

For example, which physics units other than Hydro have you compiled in?
(E.g., Gravity?) What does the Grid look like when this happens?

> Also, I was unable to run the simulation with the 'dens_temp' EOS. Is
> split hydro only able to run with 'dens_ie', or is the temperature EOS
> supposed to work?

FLASH has several Eos implementations (corresponding to, roughly,
different source directories under physics/Eos/EosMain). You haven't said
which one you are using. The setup command line is not enough to tell us,
since the set of included units and implementations also depends on the
REQUESTS and REQUIRES directives in your simulation's Config file and
other Config files.

There are many calls of Eos() and Eos_wrapped() (and Eos_guardCells)
throughout the code, some with a hardwired mode like MODE_DENS_EI, others
depending on some runtime parameter. There are several runtime parameters
that specify an Eos mode (like eosMode, eosModeInit, hy_eosModeGc,
hy_eosModeAfter). So it is not clear what it means to "run the simulation
with the 'dens_temp' EOS".

Sending a full log file would make it much clearer what you are doing.
Also standard output with warnings and  messages, parfile, Config file
and any modified source files form your Simulation directory.