[FLASH-USERS] Initialising the magnetic field, stagard mesh MHD

Robert Fisher rfisher1 at umassd.edu
Mon Apr 24 06:56:14 EDT 2017

Hi Simon :

  You raise a number of interesting technical points, but I would advise
you to reconsider the setup itself. A key problem in numerical MHD is to
ensure the satisfaction of the div . B = 0 constraint, and by overwriting
the interior solution you will surely be breaking the constraint along the
surface of the star, leading to the development of numerical monopoles.
These monopoles will in turn create forces along the field lines, which
will corrupt the solution.

  Perhaps you could consider moving the interior boundary to the surface of
the star, and specifying the field as a boundary condition there.
Alternatively you could also reduce the magnetic wave speeds within the
star (e.g. by increasing the density) to such a great extent that the field
within the star will be effectively completely frozen over the duration of
your simulation. Either will achieve the same result as what you are
imposing by hand now, but while also maintaining div . B = 0.

  Best wishes,

  Bob

--
Dr. Robert Fisher
Associate Professor / Graduate Program Director
robert.fisher at umassd.edu
http://www.novastella.org