[FLASH-USERS] courant factor

Robert Fisher rfisher1 at umassd.edu
Fri Apr 28 12:09:28 EDT 2017

Hi Riccardo :

  FLASH uses synchronous timestepping, so the the dt is the same across all
blocks. This simplifies the evolution algorithm considerably.

  Your simulation should be able to support a larger CFL number, even in 2D
axisymmetry. I just checked, and in Ji et al, 2013 (
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2013ApJ...773..136J), we used a CFL of 0.4 in
2D axisymmetry with unsplit MHD, though this was on a uniform mesh. The
fact that the crash is occurring early on does suggest an initialization
issue, or possibly a boundary issue in your run. I'd suggest outputting a
plotfile after the first timestep, and inspecting both it and the zeroeth
timestep plotfile very carefully. Is anything unusual occurring with the
velocity and/or sound speed? If so, where does the issue arise?

  Best wishes,

  Bob

robert.fisher at umassd.edu
http://www.novastella.org