[FLASH-USERS] Peaks in RHD solution

ascenzi stefano.ascenzi at roma2.infn.it
Fri Apr 28 13:06:53 EDT 2017

Dear all,

I am using FLASH4.4 to simulate an expanding ball of matter with a
maximum speed of 1.e-4c.

After a preliminary (1D) HD simulation I set up the same problem in RHD
(taking into account c=1 units), but I obtained a solution with a lot of
spikes, in spite of the smooth solution of the former case.

When I implemented the same problem in 2D (cylindrical coordinates) I
found the same behavior passing from the HD to RHD case (figure in
attachment).

Do you know what could be the origin of these peaks?
I noticed that if I rise the maximum speed to 1.e-2 c  I obtain a smooth
solution. Is it possible that the RHD solver does not work well because
when v=1.e-4 c I am too far from the relativistic limit?

I wanted also to try to solve this problem with the artificial
viscosity. Do you know if it is implemented also for RHD solver or just
for the HD unsplit solver ?
By the way I tried to rise and lower the parameter cvisc in the 1D HD
case but I have not seen any difference in the solution. How can I be
sure that the artificial viscosity is active ?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Best Regards,

Stefano Ascenzi