[FLASH-USERS] MHD simulations Eint=0 problem

Seyit Hocuk seyit at mpe.mpg.de
Tue Feb 7 03:21:30 EST 2017

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. I too have a sudden increase/decrease in
temperature and internal energy in a single cell (I assume that E_int
--> T --> P). It is possible that there is a single origin to this
problem. Let us notify one another about any progress on this matter,
and anyone else from the community.

Best wishes,
Seyit

On 06/02/17 19:24, Slavin, Jonathan wrote:
> ​Hi Seyit,
>
> I have had to put that problem aside for a while, though I hope to get
> back to it soon.  I have not solved the problem that leads to negative
> or zero timesteps.  What I found was that what leads to the problem is
> that suddenly in a single grid zone/pixel the thermal pressure jumps
> to a very high value, which thus leads to a very small timestep.  I
> plan to probe the problem further as soon as I can.
>
> Regards,
> Jon​
>
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 1:00 PM,
> <flash-users-request at flash.uchicago.edu
> <mailto:flash-users-request at flash.uchicago.edu>> wrote:
>
>     From: Seyit Hocuk <seyit at mpe.mpg.de <mailto:seyit at mpe.mpg.de>>
>     To: "flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu
>     <mailto:flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu>"
>     <flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu
>     <mailto:flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu>>
>     Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 10:56:22 +0100
>     Subject: [FLASH-USERS] MHD simulations Eint=0 problem
>     Hi community,
>
>     Has anyone else encountered this problem before?
>
>     Whenever I run MHD simulations with the USM solver (Flash4.4), I
>     occasionally get Eint=0. This seems to occur only when I put a
>     B-field > 0 (I often simulate mass-to-flux ratio of 2). The
>     problem is bigger with higher magnetic field strength. I have
>     played around with the "eintswitch" parameter, thereby reducing
>     reducing the issue it as much as I can (eintswitch =< 1e-4), but
>     the problem still persists. A high eintswitch, on the other hand,
>     thereby reverting to an independent internal energy calculation
>     was giving me crazy values. It is as if the magnetic energy is not
>     considered for the internal energy calculations when derived from
>     the total energy (Eint = E_tot - Ekin - Emag), or something along
>     those lines, but this is just guessing.
>
>     Optimizing the parameters helped a little. See parameter choices
>     below. My initial guess was that the solver has a hard time
>     solving, because the problem is stiff on occasion. Playing with
>     these options and relaxing the solver still did not completely
>     remove this issue.
>
>     I initially thought that this happens after new cells are created,
>     however, the problem does still occur when lrefine_min=lrefine_max.
>
>     The problem also seems to persist if:
>     ForceHydroLimit = .True. (but the B-field is not set to zero; in
>     the tested case it is 10.0e-6)
>     So, forcing hydrolimit did not help! This while when the B = 0
>     (+Forcehydrolimit=true), the Eint does not become 0, but very low
>     instead (which is a different issue?). While with B=0, I also get
>     a different refinement. Therefore, I am not entirely sure what
>     forcehydrolimit does actually. Clearly, there is still impact by
>     the B-field.
>
>     Another funny thing is enableMaskedGCFill. I usually have
>     enableMaskedGCFill = .True.
>     but the module that made use of this is turned off. Setting this
> [...]

Phone: +49-8930000-3012 | Fax: +49-8930000-3569
Web  : www.mpe.mpg.de/~seyit