[FLASH-USERS] Segfault while Initializing surr_blks

Joel Long jlong at modelworldllc.com
Tue Feb 21 18:41:57 EST 2017

Hello everyone,

I am a new user just getting setup with FLASH. I am working on macOS
10.12.3. I have installed current versions of MPICH, Hypre, hdf5, etc.

As a starting point, I am trying to run the Sedov explosion problem as
described in the quick start section of the manual.

The setup succeeds with no problems. Compiling the problems yields several
warnings that variables may be uninitialized, but no errors.

Unfortunately, when I attempt to run the problem, the following happens:

 Grid_init: resolution based on runtime params:
  lrefine          dx              dy
      1             0.125           0.125
      2             0.062           0.062
      3             0.031           0.031
      4             0.016           0.016
      5             0.008           0.008
      6             0.004           0.004
 MaterialProperties initialized
 Cosmology initialized
 Source terms initialized
  iteration, no. not moved =            0           0
 refined: total leaf blocks =            1
 refined: total blocks =            1
 [amr_morton_process]: Initializing surr_blks using standard orrery
implementation

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory
reference.

Backtrace for this error:
#0  0x1048ce579
#1  0x1048cd945
#2  0x7fffe09d4bb9

Can anyone recommend what might be going wrong, or how I should proceed? I
can recompile with debugging symbols, but I'm doubting the root issue is
actually a problem in the code, and if it were I wouldn't know how to fix
it anyway.

Thanks,
Joel