[FLASH-USERS] Checkpoint files vs. Plot files

John ZuHone jzuhone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 15:04:10 EST 2017

Hi Marissa,

The main reason why one would want to dump plotfiles more frequently and use them in analysis is disk space. Checkpoint files dump _everything_—every grid variable, all the particles, and all of the metadata. Though you may want all the metadata, you may not want all of the grid variables—most simulations have extra variables that you likely will not use in analysis (e.g., do you really need both "eint" and "ener" to do analysis, even though the code does for evolution? Probably not).

Plotfiles give you the ability to dump only the variables you will use in analysis more frequently than checkpoints, which are (as you said) usually thought to be only for restarts. You can also dump particle files. I typically dump both plotfiles and particle files at the same cadence. In the end, you will likely save a lot of disk space if you use plotfiles and particle files.

Best,

John