[FLASH-USERS] Unit system

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 18:47:17 EST 2017

Here's how yt handles this:

https://bitbucket.org/yt_analysis/yt/src/1088ca4ac8d84017d1809a6f114c852297286350/yt/frontends/flash/data_structures.py?at=yt&fileviewer=file-view-default#data_structures.py-239

If unitsystem is 'cgs', then magnetic field variables are written in Gauss
(no factors of 4pi). If unitsystem is 'none' (the default, I think?) then
you need to divide the values on-disk by sqrt(4*pi) to get gauss. If
unitsystem is 'si', then you need to divide by sqrt(4*pi/1e7).

Dongwook Lee summarized the situation when I asked about this in 2012,
including a nice pdf describing all the ins and outs. Take a look at his
message:

http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2012-October/001180.html