[FLASH-USERS] Numerical Effects in Spherical Coordinates

Rodrigo Fernandez rafernan at ualberta.ca
Thu Mar 23 12:17:06 EDT 2017

Hi Michiel,

You could be having problems for a number of reasons. Some questions that
might help narrow things down:

1) Are you using gravity? This looks like a stellar envelope.
2) Which hydro solver are you using (split PPM, unsplit, or other)?
3) If using the split PPM solver, are you using the "hybrid_riemann" flag
to deal with the odd-even decoupling instability (due to shocks aligned
with the grid)?
4) Regarding the inner regions, how many cells per decade in radius are you
using (i.e., how well resolved is the density gradient)?
5) What is the largest Mach number of your flow? If it is too large, you
might want to use the "eint_switch" flag to evolve the internal energy
instead of total energy when the Mach number exceeds a threshold value.

Best,

Rodrigo