[FLASH-USERS] Numerical Effects in Spherical Coordinates

Michiel Bustraan michiel.bustraan at astro.su.se
Fri Mar 24 07:13:25 EDT 2017

Jason,

The goal of the simulation is to run the shock over larger distances and times (300 days or so). Having a high resolution throughout the domain, which is much larger than the initial shock area, would be difficult.

I do see the value of running the simulation without fluctuations to see the effects. I was made aware in another response that a modification to Grid files can force refinement in an area without introducing fluctuations. I think this might be a less expensive way to see the impact of the fluctuations I introduced.

Either way, a test run with a smaller domain and a higher resolution is a good idea.

Regarding the boundary conditions, a spherical simulation that includes zero radius requires a reflective boundary, does it not?

I could cut out a small area in the center (xmin = 1.0E+12 or so), in which case I would be able to have an outflow.

I'll try that and see if it has an effect.

Thank you for the advice.

Kind Regards,

Michiel