[FLASH-USERS] Error with StirTurb Run Trials

Kezman Saboi ksaboi at asu.edu
Wed Mar 29 14:39:02 EDT 2017

Dear Flash-users,

I have been running into a few errors while trying to run a basic StirTurb
problem. What I essentially did was that, from the original StirTurb
problem package, I only made a few noticeable changes to flash.par and
added "REQUIRES physics/Hydro/HydroMain/unsplit/Hydro_Unsplit" to the
Config file. Then I setup the problem using the command

./setup —auto -3d StirTurb -nxb=64 -nyb=64 -nzb=64 +ug

and it successfully compiled.

Running it however it proving to be a problem for me. When I set gamma to
1.4, I get a successful run but when I set it to 1.000 (Hoping to achieve
isothermal conditions), I get an error that says:

*DRIVER_ABORT: [hy_uhd_eigenParameters-A]: Zero or imaginary sound speed
has obtained! Please try other (more diffusive) slope limiter, flux, order,
cfl, etc.*

Could you please help me decipher where I am going wrong?

Thank in advance.

Kezman

*Provided below is the flash.par information I am using;*

#       runtime parameters, nxb = nyb = nzb = 64

256^3 grid, gamma = 1.000

xmax            = 1.

xmin            = 0.

ymax            = 1.

ymin            = 0.

zmax            = 1.

zmin            = 0.

basenm          = "driventurb_3d_"

restart         = .false.

# file numbers - if you restart you have to change the checkpointFileNumber

checkpointFileNumber    = 0

plotFileNumber          = 0

particleFileNumber      = 0

# set the time between dumps

checkpointFileIntervalTime  = 0.01

plotFileIntervalTime        = 0.

particleFileIntervalTime    = 0.25

# set the number of steps between dumps

checkpointFileIntervalStep  = 0

plotFileIntervalStep        = 0

particleFileIntervalStep    = 0

useParticles= .false.

pt_numX = 5

pt_numY = 5

pt_numZ = 5

pt_maxPerProc=1000

plot_var_1  = "dens"

plot_var_2  = "pres"

plot_var_3  = "temp"

plot_var_4  = "velx"

plot_var_5  = "vely"

plot_var_6  = "velz"

plot_grid_var_1 = "mvrt"

gamma           = 1.000

cfl             = 0.8

nend            = 10000

tmax            = 0.05 # was originally 20.0

xl_boundary_type      = "periodic"

xr_boundary_type      = "periodic"

yl_boundary_type      = "periodic"

yr_boundary_type      = "periodic"

zl_boundary_type      = "periodic"

zr_boundary_type      = "periodic"

st_stirmax           = 18.8478

st_stirmin           =  6.2832

st_energy            =  0.1

st_decay             =  0.5

st_freq              = 1

eintSwitch          = 1.

dtinit = 1.e-5

dtmin = 1.e-12    # This parameter must be << minimum timestep

                  #  in order to avoid numerical instability

smallt = 1.e-15

smalle = 1.e-10

#   AMR refinement parameters

#lrefine_max = 6

#refine_var_1 = "dens"

#These parameters below are only necessary for the Uniform Grid

iProcs = 4      #num procs in i direction

jProcs = 4      #num procs in j direction

kProcs = 4

# When using UG, iProcs, jProcs and kProcs must be specified.

# These are the processors along each of the dimensions

#FIXEDBLOCKSIZE mode ::

# When using fixed blocksize, iGridSize etc are redundant in

# runtime parameters. These quantities are calculated as

# iGridSize = NXB*iprocs

# jGridSize = NYB*jprocs

# kGridSize = NZB*kprocs

#NONFIXEDBLOCKSIZE mode ::

# iGridSize etc must be specified. They constitute the global

# number of grid points in the physical domain without taking

# the guard cell into account. The local blocksize is calculated

# as iGridSize/iprocs  etc.

## -------------------------------------------------------------##

##  SWITCHES SPECIFIC TO THE UNSPLIT HYDRO SOLVER               ##

#       I. INTERPOLATION SCHEME:

order           = 3      # Interpolation order (first/second/third/fifth
order)

slopeLimiter    = "vanLeer"   # Slope limiters (minmod, mc, vanLeer,
hybrid, limited)

LimitedSlopeBeta= 1.     # Slope parameter for the "limited" slope by Toro

charLimiting    = .true. # Characteristic limiting vs. Primitive limiting

use_avisc       = .false. # use artificial viscosity (originally for PPM)

#cvisc          = 0.1     # coefficient for artificial viscosity

use_flattening  = .false. # use flattening (dissipative) (originally for
PPM)

use_steepening  = .false. # use contact steepening (originally for PPM)

use_upwindTVD   = .false. # use upwind biased TVD slope for PPM (need
nguard=6)

use_hybridOrder = .true.

# Magnetic and Electric Fields:

E_modificaton  = .true.

energyFix      = .true.

ForceHydroLimit = .false.

prolMethod      = "injection_prol"

#       II. RIEMANN SOLVERS:

RiemannSolver   = "Hybrid"       # Roe, HLL, HLLC, LLF, Marquina

entropy         = .true.     # Entropy fix for the Roe solver

EOSforRiemann   = .true. # Call EOS in Riemann flux calculations

#       III. STRONG SHOCK HANDELING SCHEME:

shockDetect     = .true.     # Shock Detect for numerical stability

##  SWITCHES SPECIFIC TO THE SUPER-TIME-STEPPING (STS) ALGORITHM  ##

##  NOTE: For details on using STS runtime parameters, please     ##

##        refer to user's guide (Driver chapter).                 ##

useSTS                  = .false.

nstepTotalSTS           = 5

nuSTS                   = 0.2