[FLASH-USERS] Ask for advice

Anshu Dubey dubey at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon May 1 12:07:42 EDT 2017

Dear Hy,

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 2:35 AM, hy <huangyu at buaa.edu.cn> wrote:

> Hello everybody
> I'm a new user of FLAHS code. I focus on the hypersonic air
> flows with chemically reacting and I want to use
> the code to do my simulation. I have a through reading of
> the user guide and have a general understanding of the
> FLASH code and architecture, and there are a couple of
> questions in front of me.
>
> (1) Under the guidance of the user manual (Chapter 3), I
> carried out some test simulations based on the
> example simulations. In some example cases, in addition to
> providing the files such as Simulation_data, Simulation_
> init, Simulation_initBlock, Simulation_initSpecies, one
> also need to provide some customized APIs of the units.
> How can one determine which(what kinds) API should be
> selected and modified (without the reference of example simulations)?
>
> One does not "have" to provide additional APIs, but one can if needed.
Anything that you need to add to your application that doesn't already
exist you can add into your simulation directory and add its name to the
Makefile in that directory.
Also, for any of the existing implementations anywhere else in the code, if
they don't do what you want them to you can put your own implementation in
the simulation directory. It will replace the default implementation.

(2) I have a legacy code that simulates reaction flows of
> air and kerosene. I want to extend FLASH to let it have
> that code's capabilities. I plan to add these reaction
> models and capabilities into FLASH, but i have no idea how to get start.

Your best option is to create an alternative implementation of the Burn
unit. Create a subdirectory ChemicalBurn under
$FLASHHOME/source/physics/sourceTerms/Burn/BurnMain and provide
implementations for all of the interfaces that are applicable to your
version of burn. Anything that you need to add that does not have an API
level interface you can add in your own subdirectory with a name that
starts with bn_ (see any of the other implementations for examples) and add
those names into the Makefile within your subdirectory.

> (3) Does such an extension of FLASH requires a thorough
> understanding of the entire FLASH code or just part of it?

Only the part that you are trying to extend. You can see the presentations
from various FLASH tutorials on FLASH website, some of them go through
extending the code step by step.

Is there maybe someone has some experiences and advice share with me?

> Thanks
>

> --
> NLCFD

Best,