[FLASH-USERS] Question about simulation time interval delta t

Suoqing Ji suoqing at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue May 23 00:01:55 EDT 2017

Hi Siyi,

I can provide you a quick one, and others might have more comprehensive answers.

The time step is determined at each step by the subroutine Driver_computeDt, which computes the timestep required by all of the units used, and take the minimum dt over different units. Say, Hydro_computeDt gives dt1 for hydro unit, and Particles_computeDt gives dt2 for particle unit and so on, then final dt = min(dt1, dt2, …)

How dt is computed for each unit varies. As a classical example, the timestep for hydro obeys the Courant-Friedrichs-Levy condition. Physical quantities in each cell corresponds to a certain value of dt under this condition, and Hydro_computeDt computes dt for each cell, selects the minimum dt over the entire domain, and return it to Driver_computeDt.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
—
Suoqing Ji