[FLASH-USERS] OrszagTang test with USM solver

Dongwook Lee dongwook at flash.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 2 13:46:06 EDT 2017

Dear Dominik,

I think I've seen this result a long time ago but I forgot how to reproduce
it. Can you please send me your log file that produced this result?

Thanks,
Dongwook

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 6:25 AM, Dominik Derigs <derigs at ph1.uni-koeln.de>
wrote:

> Dear FLASH user's,
>
> I'm trying to obtain 2D reference solutions using the USM solver shipped
> with FLASH v4.4.
>
> Setup command: ./setup magnetoHD/Orszag -auto -2d +usm
>
> I ran the simulation with the default flash.par file
> (increased lrefine_max to 6). However, the result is not what I expect to
> see.
>
> The very same simulation can be computed just fine using the split MHD
> solver:
> https://hera.ph1.uni-koeln.de/~derigs/OrszagTang2DUSM.png
> https://hera.ph1.uni-koeln.de/~derigs/OrszagTang2D8wave.png
>
> Note that I also tested the Rotor test problem which was solved fine by
> both the USM and the split solver. The main difference between the initial
> conditions of both tests is presumably that the magnetic field in the Rotor
> is constant while the OrszagTang test has a spatially varying initial
> magnetic field.
>
> I hope that someone has already seen a similar output and can give me a
> hint to the solution.
>
> Best regards,
> Dominik
>
> --
>
> Dominik Derigs
> I. Physikalisches Institut
> Universität zu Köln
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Z%C3%BClpicher+Stra%C3%9Fe+77+50937+K%C3%B6ln+GERMANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
> ülpicher Stra
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Z%C3%BClpicher+Stra%C3%9Fe+77+50937+K%C3%B6ln+GERMANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
> ße 77
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Z%C3%BClpicher+Stra%C3%9Fe+77+50937+K%C3%B6ln+GERMANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
> 50937 K
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Z%C3%BClpicher+Stra%C3%9Fe+77+50937+K%C3%B6ln+GERMANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
> öln
> GERMANY
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=Z%C3%BClpicher+Stra%C3%9Fe+77+50937+K%C3%B6ln+GERMANY&entry=gmail&source=g>
> https://hera.ph1.uni-koeln.de/~derigs/
>
> Tel. (+49|0) 221 470-8352
> Fax. (+49|0) 221 470-5162
>

> Diese Email ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger
> bestimmt. Zugang, Freigabe, die Kopie, die Verteilung oder Weiterleitung
> durch jemand anderen außer dem Empfänger selbst ist verboten und kann eine
> kriminelle Handlung sein. Bitte löschen Sie die Email, wenn Sie sie durch
> einen Fehler erhalten haben und informieren Sie den Absender.
>
> This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
> and/or privileged material and is intended only for the person or entity to
> which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
> use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
> persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
> have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and
> delete this material from all known records.

Dongwook Lee, Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Applied Mathematics and Statistics
University of California, Santa Cruz
Baskin Engineering, Room 353C
1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064