[FLASH-USERS] Pressure Fluctuations from AMR

Michiel Bustraan michiel.bustraan at astro.su.se
Tue Sep 12 08:25:16 EDT 2017

Dear FLASH users,

I've been encountering a problem with AMR.

The attached images show the issue.

I always find sharp pressure fluctuations occuring near the origin, and this only happens with several layers of AMR.

Since this region does not contain high velocities or pressures, it seems bizarre that this is happening.

These simulations use spherical coordinates, 2D, and split PPM hydro.

I originally ran the simulations without specialized grid refinement conditions, which led to worse pressure spikes.

I was hoping that by layering the refinement (5 layers out to 2e15 cm, 4 layers to 4e15, etc.) using Grid_markRefineDerefine.F90,

it would solve the issue. However, as you can see in the attached images, that has not been the case.

Has anyone experienced something like this using AMR?

Since the region is fairly flat (in density, pressure, and temperature), I am uncertain where these features could come from.

Kind Regards,

Michiel Bustraan