[FLASH-USERS] Problems with strong shocks

Jeremy S Ritter jritter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 21 04:13:21 EST 2018

Hello Dongwook,

That's correct, I did not have this same problem using FLASH3. I have not
run this same exact setup under FLASH3, but I have run many very similar
setups (same mass/energy blastwaves in similar environment). Unfortunately
it would take some effort to back-port this particular setup to FLASH3. The
primary difference in our setup between FLASH3 and FLASH4 is the move from
the split to the unsplit solver, but I don't know if that is causing the
issue here. The basic setup is a spherical blast wave with 10^51 erg
kinetic energy started in the free-expansion phase inside an HII region,
where we have zoomed in from a cosmological simulation. There are 128-256
cells across the diameter of the blast wave.

I've tried different Riemann solvers (Roe, HLLC,  and hybrid), with and
without shock detection and lowering the CFL. I've tried different
masses/velocities for the blastwaves. They all eventually run into this
problem at some point, usually after a few hundred years. I wonder if I
don't have some incorrect choices in flash.par? Below are the relevant
values from the Hydro section of my flash.par.

Cheers,
-Jeremy

# Hydro ---------------------------------------------------
useHydro = .true.
updateHydroFluxes = .true.
ppm_modifystates = .false.
use_auxEintEqn = .false.

eintSwitch = 1.0e-4
gamma = 1.66666666667
cfl = 0.8
cvisc = 0.1
nriem = 25

small = 1.0E-40
smlrho = 1.0E-40
smallp = 1.0E-40
smalle = 1.E8
smallt = 1.
smallu = 1.0E-40
smallx = 1.0E-40

##  SWITCHES SPECIFIC TO THE UNSPLIT HYDRO SOLVER               ##
#interpol_order = 2
order = 3 # 3rd PPM
slopeLimiter = "mc" # Slope limiters (minmod, mc, vanLeer, hybrid, limited)
LimitedSlopeBeta = 1. # Slope parameter for the "limited" slope by Toro
charLimiting = .true. # Characteristic limiting vs.Primitive limiting

use_avisc = .true. # use artificial viscosity (originally for PPM)
use_flattening = .false. # use flattening (dissipative) (originally for PPM)
use_steepening = .false. # use contact steepening (originally for PPM)
use_upwindTVD = .false. # use upwind biased TVD slope for PPM (need
nguard=6)

flux_correct = .true.
shockDetect = .true.
shockLowerCFL = .true.

#       II. RIEMANN SOLVERS:
RiemannSolver = "hybrid"       # Roe, HLL, HLLC, LLF, Marquina
entropy = .false.

use_gravHalfUpdate = .true.

#convertToConsvdInMeshInterp = .false.

# apply gr_smalle and don't print anything
#enableMaskedGCFill = .true.
gr_sanitizeDataMode = 3
gr_sanitizeVerbosity = 0