[FLASH-USERS] "Negative 3T internal energy" in a strong magnetic field

Kazuki Matsuo matsuo-k at ile.osaka-u.ac.jp
Wed Feb 28 11:18:31 EST 2018

Dear Klaus Weide,

Thank you for your response

I have already tried CFL=1.0 and using eintSwich.
But I still got the error message "Negative 3T internal energy".

Sincerely yours,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 5:55 AM Klaus Weide <klaus at flash.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018, Kazuki Matsuo wrote:
> >
> > I'm working on 3T MHD simulation of laser-generated magnetized plasma.
> >
> > My code works well with a 5T magnetic field in 2D cylindrical
> > geometry. However,
> > if I increase the magnetic field to 100 T, I got the error message
> > "Negative 3T internal energy".
> >
> > Do you know how to deal with such a strong magnetic field?
>
> Have you already tried the following?
>
> - Enforce a smaller timestep, for example by setting CFL=1.0 or by
> setting dtmax.
>
> - Use eintSwich, perhaps with a value of 1.e-3 or 1.e-4 (requires
> use_auxEintEqn=.TRUE.)
>

> These are rather generic suggestions, hopefully others can give more
> specific advice relevant to strong magnetic fields.
>
> Klaus
>
> --

------

Kazuki Matsuo

Institute of Laser Engineering Osaka University

2-6 Yamada-oka, Suita, Osaka, 565-0871, Japan

Webpage:   http://lf-lab.net

Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/kazuki.matsuo.102
<https://www.facebook.com/kazuki.matsuo.102>

E-mail:   matsuo-k at ile.osaka-u.ac.jp <matsuo-k at ile.osaka-u.ac.jp?src=inbox>