[FLASH-USERS] Units of measurement Sedov sample problem

Marissa Adams madams at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Jun 19 20:32:55 EDT 2018

Hi Isabella,

FLASH uses CGS.
Pressure ~ dynes/cm^2, Energy ~ ergs
However in the Sedov problem, regarding the normalization, I think the
ExpEnergy is actually an energy density/pressure provided by the shock. I'm
not completely sure You'll want to check if energy is conserved when
visualizing and what is given in the .dat file for the total energy (for
reflecting BC). From doing that you'll be able to determine the factor (if
it's mass or volume).

You can also tell what units are being used by opening the (e.g. sedov).log
file for the problem you've run and search for "unit":

You'll probably find:

   - a list of the known units of measurement
   - along with physical constants used
   - you can also check while searching in the file and verify:

   pc_unitsbase                = CGS

Hope this is helpful,
Marissa

---