[FLASH-USERS] MHD parallel and perpendicular thermal conductivity

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Mar 15 14:01:47 EDT 2018

​Aarne,
​

Yes you are correct
​ that FLASH is not currently capable of anisotropic thermal conduction​
.  I hadn't noticed that the magnetic resistivity routine returns both
components.  It seems that extracting some code from there might allow
implementation of anisotropic thermal conduction.  There
​ is a pitfall that must be avoided, which is that under certain conditions
of the orientation of the temperature gradient and magnetic field, you can
get heat being conducted in the wrong direction.  In any case, I've been
wanting that capability for some time, but haven't gotten around to trying
to implement it.

Jon​
​

> From: Aarne Lees <aarnelees at gmail.com>
> To: flash-users at flash.uchicago.edu
> Bcc:
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 09:22:52 -0400
> Subject: [FLASH-USERS] MHD parallel and perpendicular thermal conductivity
> Is FLASH capable of calculating separate thermal conductivities for the
> parallel and perpendicular to magnetic field directions in the case of a
> strong magnetic field?
>
> Looking through the user guide and code it seems to me that the answer is
> no. However, I see that the magnetic resistivity routine does return both
> components. But it looks like none of the solvers currently use this
> feature, is this correct?

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA