[FLASH-USERS] Error in executing Convertspect3d

Klaus Weide klaus at flash.uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:15:19 EDT 2018

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, phani sri wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am running Flash for laser slab problem, I am using the scripts coming
> with Flash code, such as "convertspect3d", for post processing the flash
> output. But I am getting the errors showing that it cannot find integer
> nxb, nyb and nzb. I am attaching the screen shot of the error message.
> Please someone suggest an idea to solve this problem.

Hi,

I am not a user of convertspect3d, or of SPECT3D. So I can only respond in
a general way.

One of your error messages states that the integer "nxb" was not found.
Can you verify that there actually is an "nxb" stored among "integer
scalars" in your lasslab_hdf5_chk_0000 file? Use h5dump to look at the
contents.

More generally, is your HDF5 file valid, can it actually be read by
anything? (FLASH, VisIt, sfocu, etc.)

You should also let us know where exactly you got your "convertspect3d",
"FlashFile.py", and other related Python files. E.g., are they from a
FLASH release file? If yes, which one(s)?

I am asking in particular because in your last two messages to flash-users
you have shown two tracebacks, with different error messages and
apparently different versions of at least one source file. (The same line
in FlashFile.py appears once as line 21 and once as line 25.)

Finally, please avoid sending screenshots as graphics attachments, when a
cut-and-paste of just the text from your terminal window would convey the
same information.