[FLASH-USERS] HDF5 problem in FLASH restart

Sylvain Turcotte sturcott at ubishops.ca
Fri May 25 15:23:58 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I am moving my version of FLASH3.0 to another machine and when I try to restart a run I get the following error message: "can't open dataset string runtime parameters".
I have verified the problem is in the output and not the input. Flash does not write the _chk_ files correctly but I have no problems looking at the data in those files with xflash3 in IDL.

As far as I can tell the new machine has hdf5_mpi version 1.8.18 while the old machine had version 1.8.16.
Also, to compile the code I had to change all the calls from H5Dcreate to H5Dcreate1, and similarly for H5Dopen and a few other Hdf5 calls.

I am unsure how to solve this issue. Suggestions are welcome!
Thanks
Sylvain