[FLASH-USERS] [Hydro]: Computed dt is not positive! Aborting!

Ryan Farber rjfarber at umich.edu
Mon Aug 19 13:29:05 EDT 2019

Hi Jianzhao,

As Benjamin indicated, it would be helpful to know more about your
simulation. I don't know much about laser simulations so maybe someone else
can chime in.

If you were doing standard MHD I would recommend the approach in this paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999102970099

However, I'm not certain it will be helpful for your case.

You can also brute force an Alfven speed limit by limiting the magnetic
field strength in cells exceeding the limit imposed. However, make sure to
limit the magnitude of the magnetic field vector and maintain the direction
to maintain a divergence-free magnetic field. Even then, I'm not positive
this is safe. You can try setting the limit several times higher to see if
it affects the results (test convergence).

Best,
--------
Ryan