[FLASH-USERS] confused about st_energy parameter in Stir unit

Christoph Federrath christoph.federrath at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:21:48 EST 2019

Hi Jon,

st_energy is meant to be the specific (per unit mass) energy injection rate, i.e., also per time (usually referred to as epsilon in the literature; see e.g., Frisch 1995). However, in practise, one normally wants to set a target turbulent Mach number, as this is usually what determines the physical behaviour of the system and can be compared to previous studies. Setting the Mach number requires some experimenting with st_energy and noting that it is proportional to Mach^3 (see notes in source/Simulation/SimulationMain/StirFromFile/forcing_generator/forcing_generator.F90). Since the resulting Mach number depends on many factors, most importantly st_energy, but also the mixture of solenoidal and compressive modes as well as the dissipation properties of the numerical hydro/MHD solver, some experimenting and iterating (setting st_energy close to what you think is required for your proposes and then measuring the Mach number; source/Simulation/SimulationMain/StirFromFile/IO_writeIntegralQuantities.F90 does that in column 9 of the resulting .dat file and adjusting st_energy accordingly in a follow-up run) is required to get to the target Mach number. Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any questions on the StirMain/FromFile unit.

Best regards,
Christoph