[FLASH-USERS] EOS tables format conversion

陶弢 tt397396 at mail.ustc.edu.cn
Wed Jun 26 00:06:50 EDT 2019

Hello,
Here I have written a simple matlab script for such conversion, I use sesame Sn data and the output .imx file have been tested in FLASH LaserSlab expamle, with actual run completed successfully. You need to choose your desired [rho,T] grid and the script will interpolate [Pressure, Internal energy, Rosseland, Planck] on that meshgrid, then produced a file in ionmix4 format.
But there are some problems for this version you need to be aware of:
1. I don't have sesame table containing ionization, so Thomas-Fermi ionization is used here, the error can be significant(20% at most I suppose?).
2. Extrapolation (here I set a small constant extrap_val = 0.1) can happen if you use meshgrid cover a larger [rho,T] than original input grid. For example, the opacity data I have begin with temperature ~ 4eV, so the output imx file is not accurate when start from room temperature.
3. I only have one radiation group in my sesame table, or a "gray" radiation field. If you need multiple groups you have to make some changes to the script, just repeatly write-out each radition group consecutively in the same format.

And also to mention, on this link:http://flash.uchicago.edu/pipermail/flash-users/2015-April/001689.html, Roman suggest using opacplot2 to do the conversion, I tried but I always get the segmentation fault problem, guess I didn't install those librarie right or something. Maybe you can try it first, for better confidence.

Best,
Tao