[FLASH-USERS] Using scratch variables

vgop at lle.rochester.edu vgop at lle.rochester.edu
Mon Mar 25 17:11:39 EDT 2019

Dear community,

Has anyone had experience with using scratch variables in FLASH? I'd like to
have a scratch variable to keep track of some index values between time
steps to speed up a table lookup. My first try was to use

SCRATCHCENTERVAR RIDX

In my Config file, and then try to read from/write to the scratch variable
by referencing

blkPointer(RIDX_SCRATCH_VAR,I,j,k)

However, it seems like in Flash.par, RIDX_SCRATCH_CENTER_VAR has the same
value as DENS_VAR, which leads to a rather unfortunate series of errors
whenever I write to it and instead end up overwriting DENS_VAR. Does anyone
have advice with how I should actually go about reading/writing the scratch
vars?

Thanks,

Varchas Gopalaswamy

PhD Candidate, Laboratory for Laser Energetics,

Department of Mechanical Engineering

University of Rochester