[FLASH-USERS] Magnetic fields at refinement boundaries in USM

Sean M. Couch couch at pa.msu.edu
Fri Mar 29 08:31:08 EDT 2019

I’ve also encountered this same issue at refinement jumps with USM. I could never get HLLD to behave. What I found was ok was to use HLLC with high-order electric field construction. Then, even better, I turned on magnetic resistivity with a small value. That smoothed things out nicely.

May “belief” at this point is that either: 1) staggered mesh CT simply does not behave well with AMR, or 2) the prolongation/restriction routines in PARAMESH for face variables is bugged somehow.

John Z., Is this for the mesh refinement versions of Athena and Athena++? Or uniform grids?

Sean

Sean M. Couch
Assistant Professor
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Department of Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering
Facility for Rare Isotope Beams
Michigan State University
567 Wilson Rd, 3250 BPS
East Lansing, MI 48824