[FLASH-USERS] Interpreting pressure behavior in the SinkRotatingCloudCore test problem

Christoph Federrath christoph.federrath at gmail.com
Tue May 28 00:22:34 EDT 2019

Hi Sean,

the effect is a result of the choice of equation of state. In order to keep the dense cloud in pressure equilibrium with the surrounding low-density gas, initially, one needs to increase the temperature outside compared to inside the cloud, by the same factor as the density is increased in the inside compared to the outside. So initially, the cloud is in pressure equilibrium. As it starts collapsing, the gas in the outside is kept warm by switching off cooling for gas less than 1.15e-19 g/cm^3 (see the last few lines in flash.par, just below usePolytrope = .true.). However, everything denser than that is cooled to be isothermal, by using a polytropic EOS, which is the line I just referred to in flash.par and located in physics/sourceTerms/Polytrope; you should have seen that my setup includes this module. Thus, the dense cloud can collapse and at the interface to the low-density ambient medium leaves behind an under-pressured interface region, because some of the ambient gas is being rarefied there. This doesn’t really matter for any of the main dynamics that’s happening inside the collapsing cloud.
I hope this helps.

Christoph

—
Christoph Federrath